Friday, October 16, 2009

Sinclair Ferguson on Romans

Dr. Sinclair Ferguson is the senior minister of First Presbyterian Church in Columbia, South Carolina. He once was a professor at Westminster Theological Seminary in Philadelphia, but by the time I studied there, he had left to serve elsewhere. I was fortunate enough, however, to sit under his teaching for one winter term class. I wish I had had the opportunity to study under him much more than that.

However, he is still one of my teachers. I've read some of his books, and have listened to some of his lectures and sermons on tape and online. For what it's worth, in my opinion, he is one of the most gifted teachers and preachers serving the church today.

For my devotional reading, I'm working my way through Dr. Ferguson's book, In Christ Alone. This morning's chapter was on the book of Romans, which I found especially engaging since I am now preaching through Romans in the evening services. 

Ferguson reminded me in this chapter that the gospel, as expounded so fully in Romans, is the gospel of grace. Though not an original insight by any means, it is refreshing to hear this again - we are saved by the sheer grace of God through the death and resurrection of his Son Jesus Christ.

Ferguson writes: "This gospel of God, Paul's gospel, is massive. And what makes it so is grace - sheer, undiluted, overwhelming grace. Massive grace!" Of course, to see why he says that, you must read the chapter. Or better yet, read Romans itself.

But I like the thought that grace is massive. I pray that I, and those who sit under my preaching in the evening services, will be struck by the force of this amazing grace as we study Romans together.

No comments: