Thursday, October 22, 2009

Miscellaneous

Last night I took the lovely and talented Mrs. Johnson out for a long-overdue date night. The three of us - Monica goes wherever mom goes - had a relaxing time. First we enjoyed a delicious meal at a new tapas restaurant in Wasilla called The Grape Tap. We followed that with some coffee and checkers at Pandemonium, a favorite coffee shop of ours. With all humility, and all due respect for my worthy checkers opponent, I crushed her. Though it's probably not fair to play any game involving thought with someone who has spent all day at home with five young children. But, excuses aside, for now I am the reigning checkers champ in the Johnson home. 

While running today, I listened to an engaging debate between atheist Christopher Hitchens and Christian pastor Douglas Wilson. I didn't catch the title, but the subject was the existence of God. There are several reasons why this debate interests me, the first being simply the subject itself. I am also a bit familiar with both men. I love reading Hitchens - he's such a good writer. As for Wilson, he is well-known among evangelicals, especially Reformed Christians. I'm not a particularly huge fan of his, but I've profited from some of his writings. 

Also, the debate took place at my alma mater, Westminster Seminary in Philadelphia. I wish I had been there to see it! At any rate, I'm about half-way through it. Both men are intelligent and well-spoken, so I don't anticipate a clear "winner" emerging. Like all debates of this sort, the atheists will think the atheist won, and the theists will be sure the theist came out on top.

My impression of Hitchens' main argument is that it comes perilously close to pantheism - nature and God are one and the same. I say this because he emphasized his belief (!) that we can find beauty, and transcendence, and wonder in nature with no need to reference a divine being. In other words, he almost spoke in worshipful tones about the glories of our universe. That struck me. 

There's a documentary coming out soon featuring a series of debates between the two men, of which this was just one. It's called Collision, and should be fun viewing. 

No comments: