Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Sander - "The Boy"

My sister, when talking with my parents, used to refer to me as "the boy". She did this after we had already grown up, just because it sounded kind of funny. As though I was more of an afterthought than a full-fledged child such as herself: there's Meredith, and then there's "the boy". She didn't mean anything by it but to be funny, and you probably had to know my sister to appreciate the humor of it.

But with four sisters, our only son, Sander, really is "the boy". And if there is anyone who thinks gender differences are wholly shaped by culture and environment, and not hardwired by God into our very DNA, then I invite you to stay a few days at our house to see the difference first-hand. 

Without any prompting or pushing on our part, Sander has taken an interest in sports. I thought about that today as I was playing Nerf-ball catch with him in the living room. As far as I can remember, our two older daughters have never asked me to play catch with them (however, they do like to join in when Sander and I are playing). I also don't recall our girls making sound effects. Without teaching or example, Sander started making sound effects, often to accompany his description of shooting something. And he likes to "announce" baseball plays: "grand slam home run by Albert Pujols!" There's no question in my mind this boyish stuff comes from within. He's a guy, he can't help it. 

I love my girls dearly, but with four daughters, I'm sure glad we have "the boy" around, too.

2 comments:

Mom said...

What on earth is in a male's DNA to make him come up with those sound effects? I can remember watching my brother play baseball by himself. He would throw the ball up, hit it as high as he could, then start making those "crowd" noises and announcing his stunning hit, then the unbelievable catch. You guys are just weird!

Sander said...

Mom - no argument there!