Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Monday - a day off

Robyn and I took advantage of my mom's being here, and went out on a date to a coffee shop in town called "Pandemonium." It's a bookstore, as well, and we took some time to browse the shelves. When I visit a bookstore, I always find myself thinking, "I wish I had more time to read." The work of preparing sermons involves quite a bit of reading, of course, but it is always a challenge to carve out time for general reading. I think it was John Stott who said a minister should devote one hour a day, three additional hours per week, one full day per month, and one week per year, solely to general theological study and reading. I haven't attained that, but I do try to devote some hours each week for study unrelated to sermon preparation.

We later went to Fred Meyer's, a grocery store, to pick up a few things. It was a bit dismaying to see that already an entire isle was devoted to Halloween.

Earlier today my mom and I took the four older kids to a local park. The highlight was the skate park, where the kids could ride their bikes up and down the concrete knolls and ramps. It was a little nerve-wracking to watch them do it. I've learned that a parent always has something to worry about. I was struck by that when Monica was born last week. She was not even an hour out of the womb, and I was wondering, "She's so quiet. I hope nothing's wrong." Parents' worry for their children never ends, I suppose, no matter how old the kids get.

No comments: