Monday, September 21, 2009

Getting ready for the amazing

Childbirth is amazing. I've been with Robyn for four deliveries so far, and each time I am struck by the wonder of it - that from the womb emerges a new human life (a divine image bearer!) where there was none before. Though conception, pregnancy, and delivery is a "natural" occurrence that happens all the time, it would seem impossible not to consider the hand of God in it. How sterile and inadequate are our scientific descriptions of the beginning of life, compared with David's words!: "...you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made" (Psalm 139:13, 14).

Tomorrow is the BIG day. Robyn and I are to arrive at the hospital at 6:00 a.m. Soon thereafter, hopefully, they will begin the induction (I say "hopefully" because we've learned that Alaskans aren't always the most punctual people on earth). The kids are excited, too. And the older ones are beginning to ask the inevitable question: how does the baby come out, anyway? We tell them we'll explain it all to them when they are older.

I'm taking to the hospital some clothes, a book, my laptop, a camera, a camcorder, a cell phone, and a mp3 player. Robyn's taking the baby with her.

Lord willing, we'll have some happy news to announce tomorrow.






No comments: