Saturday, September 19, 2009

Back to Blogging

At least I hope so. It's been nearly a year since I last wrote a blog, and during that time I've often wished I had not given up. I will try to write regular entries, though it is not always easy with the press of so many responsibilities.

It's been a little over two years since we've made the trek up the Alaska Highway to begin our Alaska life. Though the time has gone by quickly, when we look at pictures from our trip here I'm surprised to see how much the kids have grown. Sander and Moriah have lived here for most of their lives!

God has blessed us the last two years. Though there have been challenges (being a pastor anywhere will involve difficulties), our family has enjoyed living in Alaska. For just one example of how life here has been good, we have a freezer full of sockeye salmon from our two summer dipnetting trips.

The kids are thriving. Robyn works hard at homeschooling Meredith and Maggie, and both of them are little scholars. There is an abundance of extra-curricular activities for the kids: gymnastics, piano, P.E., t-ball, and so on.

Life is about to get a little crazier, though. Robyn is due to give birth to our fifth child (another girl!) on Tuesday. We are both excited to meet the newest Johnson, and a bit apprehensive of the extra busyness she will bring. The house can be lively with four young children - but with five? But God has given us grace so far, and we are trusting in his faithfulness to sustain us each day.

I am enjoying the work of pastoring Grace Orthodox Presbyterian Church. I find preaching twice on Sunday can be a challenge. It's not so much the actual preaching on Sunday (which is more exhausting than most people realize), but the real challenge for me is working on two different passages each week and trying to prepare a message from each that expounds the text, preaches Christ, and engages the listener. I am thankful for patient and faithful listeners!

One goal of mine is to write short book reviews in this blog (as I've done in the past). A brief recommendation for an encouraging little book: Living the Cross Centered Life by C. J. Mahaney. He reminded me of the need to remember daily what Christ did for me at the cross. A friend gave it to me to read some time ago. The day I finished it, I gave it to someone else to read!


No comments: