Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Less than a week to go.

After months of planning, the date of our departure for Alaska is now very near - less than a week away. Our family has lived in Norman, Oklahoma for just over 3 1/2 years now. In that time, we've added two children (our "Okies") and one dog. So, we are leaving a bit bigger as a family, and a bit more tired and stressed as parents.

As excited as we are about this opportunity for service up north, there are some things I am going to miss about living in Norman. It goes without saying I will miss the friends we have made here. The hardest part about moving away is saying goodbye to them. But, other than friends, here are some things I'll miss (in no particular order):

1. Golf in January. I'm pretty sure this is out of the question in Alaska. However, I was told there is a golf tournament held each winter up there on a frozen lake.

2. OU football. We never actually got to see a game, but it's been fun to root for the Sooners.

3. Rusty's frozen custard. Next to Ted Drewes in St. Louis, the best I've had.

4. Oklahoma Redhawks baseball. Nearly everywhere we've lived, there has been a minor-league baseball team to watch. Great professional baseball at a fraction of the cost of going to the big-league parks.

5. Convenience galore. We live 2 minutes from the mall, the bank, the vet, Sam's Club, Blockbuster, Borders, Kinkos, Starbucks, a grocery store, and a gas station that sells cheap gas. We're about 5 minutes from Wal-mart and a host of restaurants too many to list. We've enjoyed having almost everything we need practically next door.

These are just a few things that come to mind. When you include the friendly people, a person could a lot worse than making Norman his home.

I do believe the Lord in his providence is calling me to serve the church in Wasilla, and is leading our family to live and minister there. So, I am very excited about the move, and am looking forward to beginning my gospel labors there. It's just that I'll miss some of the little things about life in Norman.

No comments: