Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Day Two, Lombard, IL - Slow going

I'm writing this at 12:45 a.m. on Wednesday night, or Thursday morning to be accurate. We made it to Chicago after a long day on the road.

The highlight of the day was meeting an old high school friend in St. Louis, Rob. We met him at Ted Drewes, a locally famous frozen custard place. I haven't seen Rob for about 15 years or so. He looks older, of course, but still seems to be the same guy I knew in high school. He has a full head of hair, so naturally I resent him for that.

Robyn and I were just talking with our gracious hostess, Kristy, about how our stops add so much time to our driving. A normal person could have traveled the distance we did in about 11 hours or so. It took us 16 hours. We are the model of inefficiency:

First stop - nurse the baby, walk the dog, buy coffee, take the kids to the bathroom. 30 minutes.
Second stop - exit highway to search car for missing driver's license and Visa. Thankfully, they were found. 10 minutes.
Third stop - go to Wal-mart to call Rob and let him know we are running late. Leave two messages on two answering machines, one of which required phone card located in Suburban circling the parking lot. 20 minutes.
Fourth stop - meet Rob at Ted Drewes, nurse the baby, take the kids to the bathroom, make picnic lunch, order frozen custard, go to park to eat frozen custard, walk the dog, get gas, make two phone calls to Chicago to let people know we are running late. 2 hours, 45 minutes.
Fifth stop - visit downtown Sprinfield, Illinois, to find a "Taste of Chicago" fair heard on radio, find out it wasn't really open to the general public, go to first restaurant, hear about 45 minute wait, go to second restaurant and eat. 2 hours.
Sixth stop - exit highway to take Maggie to the bathroom, discover she can't go after all. 15 minutes.

Oh well, better late than never.

4 comments:

Steve said...

My only reason for posting a comment today is to say that I misspelled the word "desert" in my last posting. I spelled it "dessert." As far as I know, the Israelites didn't have dessert in the desert, just manna and quail. I wish the word I misspelled had some great theological significance, like supralapsarianism, but alas it does not.

I suppose I could also say that the Dodgers beat the Cardinals (4-3) again last night to take the series....but I won't.

Sander said...

Steve - yes, I was wondering what kind of "dessert" the Israelites were slogging through for forty years - apple pie, chocolate mousse? Actually, I figured you must have been using some unusual English translation of the Bible I was not familiar with!

As for the Cardinals and Dodgers, what can I say but we passed Busch stadium on the way here and noticed the sign: "World Champs - 2006". Does Dodger Stadium have a sign like that?

Bobby said...

Scott...give me a call (969-2519). I'm heading up to the Wheaton area this afternoon and would love to meet up briefly. Rob

Bobby said...

got my own number wrong...696-2519.