Sunday, May 27, 2007

Days Twelve and Thirteen - Missoula, Montana

We've had two activity-packed and enjoyable days in Missoula. It's been nice to stay put in one place for a couple of days, but we are eager to hit the road in the morning and begin the long drive north. Including miscellaneous driving here and there, we've logged nearly 3,000 miles on the Suburban since we pulled out of our driveway in Norman. With about 2,400 miles between us and Wasilla, we are over the hump and on the downhill side of the trip. However, the road ahead may be the most challenging yet - hundreds of lonely miles through the Canadian wilderness on the Alaska highway.

I've had the vehicle looked over by my cousin Sarah's mechanic husband Josh. Not only that, but he gave me a quick tutorial on how to replace the serpentine belt just in case it breaks somewhere out in the Yukon. I told him, "I think I can handle that." Pray that I won't have to try!

We are excited about starting the trip in the morning, but we will leave with some great memories of our short time here.

On Saturday morning, my mom, Robyn, and I all participated in a 5K run/walk in Missoula. Some things are just too good to be true. First, my time was under 18 minutes, faster than I had run in years. Second, I got first place in my age division. Now the catch: the course was at least half a mile short (really, a "4K"), and I am pretty sure I was the only runner in my age division. But hey, what a confidence booster!

In the afternoon, Robyn and I took the kids to the Carousel in Missoula. This place is special for us, as the original ride director was my great uncle Ron, who passed away a few years ago. Eight years ago, he gave us a private tour of the Carousel, including a free ride. His memory lives on there, as his image is part of the mural painted on the inner part of the carousel.

Later, we a had a family cookout and campfire at a local park. What a wonderful oppurtinity to see many relatives I had not seen in years. The fuel for the fire was almost entirely scraps from my mom's past woodworking projects, projects that make up many of the furnishings of our house (or rather, that make up many of the items packed on a truck currently located who-knows-where).

This morning, we worshipped at Garden City Presbyterian Church in Missoula. The pastor, Ron McKenzie, was a tremendous influence in my journey from new Christian to pastor. He is still there, faithfully ministering the Word to his small flock. Ron preached an excellent message from Acts 16 on prayerfully submitting to God's leading in our Christian service, not imposing our own agendas on God's plan. He said much more, of course, all of which was good food for thought and reflection as I prepare to serve the congregation in Wasilla.

One highlight of our visit here has been meeting Robyn's brother Joseph and his wife Tuan, and their one-year old Lily. They treated us to a sushi dinner tonight. Just tasting the food brought back memories of living in Japan.

Today is a very special day because it was exactly seven years ago that I married Robyn. I am telling the truth when I say that it has been the best seven years of my life. God has blessed me beyond all deserving in giving me such a godly and beautiful woman as my wife.

I joked with Robyn earlier, saying that after giving it much thought, my anniversary present to her would be a trip to Alaska and we are leaving in the morning. Thankfully, she's used to this kind of humor by now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happy Anniversary, Scott & Robyn,

Thank you for the lovely comments about my daughter. I happen to agree with them. :) :)

I'm sure the entire family joins me in saying, we all feel the same about you...wait a minute...beautiful? Yes, beautifully made by God.

Love,
Mom