Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Miscellaneous

October 13th.
This date is an unhappy anniversary for my family. Twelve years ago, on October 13th, my sister Meredith died after a long and heroic struggle with a failed bone-marrow transplant for leukemia. I wish she could meet Robyn and the kids, and see what "the boy" (as she referred to me) has been up to all these years. I'm sure she'd have something funny to say. It makes me sad to think about it.

Pastor's appreciation.
It's always good to be appreciated. October is Pastor Appreciation Month, and the church expressed their thanks with a nice cake and balloons. It was a very thoughtful gesture, and an encouragement to me. Several people also made a point of thanking me for my service. This is a good group of people, and I am thankful that God has led us here to serve them.

"Change-over."
A fall and spring ritual in Alaska, at least in this part of the state, is "change-over." This is where you take the summer tires off your car and put on the studded tires (and vice verse in the spring) . I arrived at the tire shop at 6:45 a.m. this morning, 45 minutes before they open, and already there were 13 customers ahead of me. Nearly two hours and 55 dollars later, our Suburban was ready for winter.

2 comments:

Steve said...

I just read your posting about your sister and tears came to my eyes. Remembering loved ones who are no longer with us brings pain that never truly goes away.

Sander said...

Thanks, Steve, for the comment. It is hard to remember loved ones who are gone. So glad for the hope we have in Christ.