Friday, October 10, 2008

ESV Study Bible

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the brand-new ESV Study Bible. I've been reading the English Standard Version since it was first published in 2001, and it is the Bible I use exclusively in preaching and teaching.

I believe it is the best English translation of the Bible out there. It is both very readable and faithful to the original Hebrew and Greek Scriptures. Whereas the New American Standard Bible is quite literal, the English is too wooden. And whereas the New International Version is very readable, the translators go too far in translating the "sense" of a verse, rather than the words themselves. The ESV strikes a good balance between the two: an accurate translation in natural English.

Morever, the ESV maintains much of the traditional language of the King James Bible. The "thees" and "thous" are updated, but the basic structure and wording of familiar passages remain essentially the same,, e.g., "The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want" (ESV, Psalm 23:1).

Since it was first published, the ESV has really taken off, at least in Reformed and Evangelical circles. I think this is good for a couple of reasons. First, for the reasons I've indicated, it is a translation worthy to become, as its name suggests, the standard English version. Secondly, the more one version is uniformly read, and taught and preached from, the easier it will be for Christians to memorize Scripture.

I am excited about this ESV Study Bible. It looks to be a comprehensive resource for Bible study all in one volume: notes, maps, charts, introductions, diagrams, etc., etc. I'm going to order my copy soon.

1 comment:

Steve said...

I love the NIV Study Bible and the NKJV Reformation Study Bible so perhaps this is a worthy edition to my study bible collection.