Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Death, taxes, and haircuts

Was it Benjamin Franklin who said the only certainties in life are death and taxes? I sent in my tax returns today - just in time! - proving at least the latter is still one of life's unchanging realities. I know the former is still a certainty, but at least that doesn't happen every year.

Another to add to the list would be haircuts, at least if your name is Sander and you live in our house. Here he is stoically enduring his once-a-month buzz cut.

Yesterday I finally got around to cleaning out and washing our two cars. You have to know my family to understand this, but being a Johnson, there are certain habits written into my DNA that I am helpless to change. Johnsons back in their cars whenever possible into a parking spot. Johnsons always eat cookies with milk. Johnsons like to keep things neat and tidy. And Johnsons always keep their cars clean. Which is why I felt an increasing sense of angst every time I looked at our dirt-caked Suburban. How could I let it get that dirty? I took a couple of hours and gave both it and our other vehicle a thorough, inside and out, cleaning. It was cathartic; it was therapeutic. At last, two clean cars.

We had our leadership training class tonight. One of the books we read is Children of the Promise, by Robert Booth. Booth presents a very clear and thorough case for infant baptism. I was reminded again of the grace of God in setting the sign of his promise on our children. I respect my dear brothers and sisters in Christ who see things differently, but I just couldn't imagine not confirming in this way that our children are also heirs of God's covenant mercies.

Speaking of covenant children, here are three of ours on the couch absorbed in Meredith's latest idea, writing a "newspaper".

No comments: