Saturday, July 7, 2007

My thanks to Lendall

After three years of seminary, I had the privilege to serve a year-long internship at Bethel OPC in Wheaton, IL. My supervising pastor was Rev. Lendall Smith, who had once been a missionary to Taiwan but returned some years before to serve as the pastor of that congregation. Last week Lendall retired from the ministry. I wrote him the following letter of appreciation. This may not mean as much if you have not met Lendall, but I think it is worthwhile reading as it gives you a glimpse of a man with a true pastor's heart. Here it is:

June 30, 2007

Dear Lendall,

Whenever I think of the year I spent as an intern at Bethel Presbyterian Church under your mentorship, I give thanks to God for giving me that opportunity. While my wife and I came to love the people of Bethel and immensely enjoyed the fellowship there (and still do enjoy our friendship with them), for me as a future pastor the greatest benefit of the year was witnessing up close the day to day work of a faithful gospel minister. In both the joys and challenges of pastoral ministry, you exhibited the heart of a true pastor in loving God’s people and always seeking to draw them to a closer communion with Christ.

Serving as a supervising pastor for an intern required much sacrifice of time and energy on your part. But I never sensed it was an unwanted burden for you. Rather, you not only showed genuine interest in me and my family, but you communicated to me in many ways that you sincerely desired to see me grow as a pastor. I believe this was an act of faith on your part, for in this way you were sowing seeds for the Kingdom of God that would only bear fruit in the years ahead. I am confident that the time you invested in my life, and in the lives of the other interns, will ultimately bring honor to the name of Christ as we seek to practice what we have learned from you in our own respective ministries.

I fondly remember our conversations on Tuesday mornings about the sermon I preached the previous Sunday evening. You were always encouraging in your counsel, but you did not withhold from me the helpful and necessary criticism I needed to grow as a preacher. I also remember our frequent discussions about various aspects of the gospel ministry. You said many things which still come to mind whenever I reflect on my own service as a pastor. I am also thankful for the times of prayer we shared together in the afternoons, as we interceded for one another and for the needs of the church. Of course, I also enjoyed the occasional game of golf with you! Is it possible you will be out on the course a little more often after July?

Just as profitable for me was simply watching you serve as a pastor. Your genuine care for the flock, your gentle but forthright dealings with people, your diligence in sermon preparation and study, your faithfulness in not shirking the more difficult tasks you faced as a pastor, and the many other ways you sought to “fulfill the ministry” (Col. 4:17), all provided for me a flesh and blood example of what a pastor should look like. Believe it or not, you are still teaching me in that I sometimes wonder, “How would Lendall handle this situation?” You would be last to say this, but you served Christ and His Church in such a way that you could have admonished your interns with the same words of the Apostle Paul when he told the Corinthians: “Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ” (1 Cor. 11:1).

I know your retirement will be a loss for Bethel. But, I trust your contribution to the greater Body of Christ is far from over. May the Lord bless you and Sherrill as you continue to faithfully follow His call to serve Him with your lives, wherever that call may take you in the future.

Sincerely in Christ,

Scott

No comments: