Saturday, April 28, 2007

In the airport

As I write this, I am sitting in gate D5 of the Portland Airport, waiting for my flight to Salt Lake City. From there, I'll catch a flight to Oklahoma City and I'll be home.

The presbytery meeting went great. I passed my interview on the floor of presbytery with just a little stress, and the call from the congregation of Grace OPC in Wasilla was approved. I called Robyn to let her know she can keep packing boxes - we officially have the "green light" now!

I was even honored with an award while I was there! The hotel had put up a sign saying, "The Ramada Inn Welcomes the Presbyterian of the Northwest." Since it should have read "the Presbytery of the Northwest" instead of the "Presbyterian of the Northwest", one of the ministers joked that at the end of the meeting one elder would be designated with the honor, "The Presbyterian of the Northwest." That became something of a running joke during the proceedings.

Close to the end of the meeting, I was put on a committee. Since it is unusual for this to happen, that same minister declared I must be the winner of "the Presbyterian of the Northwest" award! He then gave me the sign on the hotel wall that started the whole joke. So, I've got something else to hang up in my study in Alaska!

The committee I was placed on is a committee to study the possibility of dividing the presbytery to foster closer working relations between the elders of the different regions. Every state of the presbytery had a member represented on the committee except Alaska. Since I am the only minister from Alaska in the presbytery, it was moved that I, too, should be on the committee. After this was approved, I told the elders there that I will let my presbytery back home know that although I've only been to one Northwest Presbytery meeting so far, I am already at work creating division there!

It was a blessing to see old friends and acquaintances, and meet some new people. But, I'm glad to be getting back home! I miss my wife and kids.

No comments: