Friday, April 20, 2007

Getting older

Certain milestones in our lives rudely remind us that, despite what we like to think, we are, in fact, getting old. The "...0th" birthdays certainly do that: 20th, 30th, 40th, 50th, etc. So do high-school reunion announcements.

This June will be my 20th - 20th!!- high school reunion. I graduated from high school in 1987 and - math doesn't lie - this being 2007, it has been 20 years since I was a high school senior. Two decades! A full 25 percent of the alloted 80-year life span for man (see Psalm 90:10)! Enough time for a child to be born, graduate from high school, and be almost finished with college!

A lot has changed since 1987. Back then, there was no internet, no cell phones, no laptops, no I-pods, no e-mail, etc. Gas was under a dollar per gallon. And "regular" meant "leaded", which was what I bought for my vehicle, a blue 1974 Ford F-150.

But much was the same. Drugs were a huge problem, like now. Kids were mostly interested in the opposite sex, which I suspect is the same today. Families then, like today, were often in shambles. Unless my memory really goes south someday, I don't think I'll be prone to sugar-coat my high-school days as the golden era of morality and virtue. It certainly wasn't.

In 20 years, God has been very good to me. Far better than anything I deserve. He's given me a beautiful wife, four healthy children, and has never let me go hungry or unsheltered even once. Since high school, by the grace of God, I went from something resembling an atheist to an agnostic to a believer in Jesus Christ. And, as shocking to myself at times as it was to my high-school friends with whom I have recently been in contact, I am a minister of the gospel.

At the same time, I have not been spared disappointment and difficulty. My sister Meredith's death in 1996 has been the saddest experience for me in the last 20 years.

Time goes by so quickly. I thought of this verse from the hymn, "Our God, Our Help in Ages Past":
Time, like an ever-rolling stream,
bears all its sons away;
they fly forgotten, as a dream
dies at the op'ning day.

If time is a stream, then a lot of water passes by in 20 years. How can I be faithful with whatever precious days or months or years God may be pleased to give me from now?

No comments: