Friday, November 6, 2009

Leviticus and Christ

As long as I can muster the necessary mental focus, I enjoy listening to sermons, lectures, and theological discussions on my mp3 player while I run. During my run today, I heard a very timely discussion about the significance of the Old Testament sacrifices that are spelled out in the first five chapters of Leviticus. It was "timely" in a purely personal way, as I'm now reading through the book of Leviticus in the course of my regular Bible reading. The guest of the discussion was an Old Testament professor at Greenville Presbyterian Theological Seminary by the name of Dr. Ben Shaw.

Leviticus is not the first place I would go if I just wanted to read some Scripture for edification or comfort. I'd be surprised if there is anyone who would! But Dr. Shaw explained how the various sacrifices detailed in Leviticus point to Christ, and shed light on his work on the cross. A couple of points he made were helpful to me, even if by way of reminder. First, the animal sacrifices were given by God in order to teach the Israelites that, if they are to worship God and be in his holy presence, there must be atonement for their sin. And that needed atonement was signified by the killing of various animals at the altar of God.

This idea, that their must be the shedding of blood to take away sin (Heb. 9:22), is not popular, both in general thinking and in some quarters of the church. It is seen as primitive, offensive, and somehow contrary to the idea of a God of love. Yet how else to explain the death of Christ on the cross, especially in the light of the old covenant sacrifices? "You know that he appeared to take away sins" (1 John 3:5).

The second helpful point Dr. Shaw made was, the fact that the sacrifices were repeated over and over pointed to the need for a once-for-all, perfect sacrifice. This was not new to me, because Hebrews teaches this very thing (Hebrews 10:1-18). Yet it helped to think about it from the perspective of the Old Testament saints. Here they were, watching over and over again, year after year, the continual sacrifice of animals. Some, by faith, must have understood - there is a better, more perfect sacrifice coming that will take away my sins once and for all.

I don't know if I'll ever preach through Leviticus. But there is nothing like knowing it, like all of Scripture, bears witness to the grace of God in Jesus Christ.

No comments: