Sunday, November 8, 2009

The Heidelberg Catechism

Today Robyn and I (and Monica, of course!) attended a Reformation Day Conference hosted by Covenant Bible Church in Chugiak. The speaker was Dr. Lyle Bierma of Calvin Theological Seminary, and his subject was the Heidelberg Catechism.

Being Presbyterian, I am much more familiar with the Westminster Standards than the Heidelberg Catechism, which is used as a confessional standard by Dutch Reformed churches. In fact, apart from small portions, I had never even read it until this week. But knowing this conference was coming, I decided to read through it ahead of time. I didn't quite finish, but got a good taste of it.

As Dr. Bierma pointed out, the Heidelberg catechism is much more pastoral and applicatory in tone than the Westminster Shorter Catechism. The theology is the same in both, but the Heidelberg speaks more directly to the heart. I thought, how much more valuable is this little catechism, written sometime in the 1560's, than so much of the popular "inspirational" Christian literature on the shelves today? It's too bad more Christians aren't familiar with it (and obviously I say the same for the Westminster Standards!).

One good point Dr. Bierma made was that the stress on assurance found throughout the catechism was a response to the general lack of assurance medieval Christians suffered because of Roman Catholic teaching. I've heard before that the Protestant teaching that we can be assured of our salvation, by faith in Christ, was considered the greatest heresy of the Reformation by some Catholic theologians. But what a great doctrine it is - that I can know I am saved by the finished work of Christ on the cross!

That theme of assurance is present in Question and Answer 26, which I thought was wonderful:

What do you believe when you say, "I believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth"?


That the eternal Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
who out of nothing created heaven and earth
and everything in them,
who still upholds and rules them
by his eternal counsel and providence,
is my God and Father
because of Christ his Son.


I trust him so much that I do not doubt
he will provide
whatever I need
for body and soul,
and he will turn to my good
whatever adversity he sends me
in this sad world.


He is able to do this because he is almighty God;
he desires to do this because he is a faithful Father.

Meditating on these words is good for the soul!

No comments: