Saturday, September 13, 2008

World-famous Wasilla

Some of you who read this blog have actually been to Wasilla and may be interested in this article from the Anchorage Daily News describing the recent invasion of international media upon our fair town.

Although the article gives the impression media types are to be seen everywhere, as far my experience goes, Wasilla doesn't seem that much different than it did a few weeks ago before the excitement began. I saw one cameraman shooting video at the main intersection "downtown" (actually, a four-way stop sign). Who knows, maybe a shot of my Toyota Camry rolling past the camera made the nightly news that night?

But other than that, I haven't seen any media here. No secret service agents, either. Mainly just the usual folks - locals and tourists.

The article quotes various international newspapers' descriptions of Wasilla. I'm afraid to say they're all pretty accurate. Honestly, though we love calling Wasilla home, the town itself isn't the charming or quaint place you might expect in rural Alaska. It is quite non-descript with lots of strip malls and a hodge-podge of buildings scattered here and there alongside the Parks Highway. But, that is part of the beauty of Wasilla. The town, and the people who live here, are unpretentious. And if you can show me a Super Wal-Mart with a better view from the parking lot, I'll move there!

Of course, the article mentions the all the attention the now-famous (or infamous?) library has been getting as a result of the alleged attempt on Mayor Palin's part to ban books from it. Apparently they have gotten flooded with calls and e-mails asking about Palin's nefarious past as a book-burner or whatever the charge is.

On reading that, I have to hand it to the library's efficient staff. Despite the deluge of outside attention, they are still able to call our house every two days or so with this message, spoken in a monotone fashion: "Hello, this is the Wasilla Public Library, and Robyn Johnson has a book on hold and we will hold for seven days. Thank you." Next time they call, I'm tempted to ask: "Did someone turn that in, or has it just been taken off the Palin blacklist?"

It's been interesting, to say the least, to see Wasilla become a househould name overnight. But, I doubt much is really going to change around here. Which is fine, because I like it the way it is.

2 comments:

Steve said...

I liked the comment I heard last week about Wasilla buying the land for the ice skating rink. Something about the town had to buy the land from the entity who owned it for a large sum of money. I thought, "Wow, something of national political significance and I actually skated there!"

Sander said...

Hey Steve!

Next time you come, we'll have to take your picture in front of it!