Friday, August 3, 2007

Alaska update

Time, in good proverbial fashion, has been flying by for us here in Alaska. Yesterday marked the two-month anniversary of our new life in the Frontier State. We are still very new here, of course, and I won't even pretend that we are in any sense veterans of Alaska (it is something of a badge of honor to have grown up here, or have lived here for many decades). But, Robyn and I were just remarking the other day that we no longer have those moments where we say, "I can't believe we actually live here!" Instead, it is beginning to feel more and more like home.

Which leads to the first update on our life, the house. I have spent much time the last few weeks providing the loan company with all the details of our family finances. The degree of detail is amazing. I'm sure IRS auditors do not use a comb as fine-toothed as these people in pouring over all our financial records. In part of my explanation of bank deposits, I actually had to attest that $20 was a birthday gift from my grandmother!

But we are told the closing date may be next week. So, it looks like our gypsie lifestyle is nearing an end.

Today Robyn enrolled Meredith in an Alaska program called IDEA. I'm not familiar with all the particulars, but the basic concept of IDEA is that homeschool parents enroll their children in a public school district but do all the teaching at home as usual. However, the school district then helps pay for the costs of education - books, materials, music lessons, etc. We've talked with several families that have used it and like it. So, we are going with IDEA, too. Robyn is looking forward to getting 1st grade underway with Meredith.

Next week is our church's Family Camp. This was the camp at which I spoke two years ago, which was our first introduction to Grace. The speaker this year is Rev. Phil Proctor, a missionary from Uganda. His wife is named "Meredith", so I'm sure our Meredith will enjoy meeting her namesake!

No comments: