Saturday, June 2, 2007

Day Nineteen - Wasilla, AK

We made it! Technically, we are not yet in Wasilla, but in the neighboring town of Palmer. A family from the church here has graciously allowed us to house sit for them until they return from vacation later this month. But, the driving is finished, and by the grace of God, we made it here with our bodies and minds intact (mostly).

Today was not the easiest day of the trip, though. It began with another early-morning Maggie throw-up. This time it happened at 4:40 a.m. We got up, dressed the kids, packed the car, ate breakfast, and finally hit the road about 8:00 a.m.

The drive started out fine until Meredith threw up...in the car. However, I was able to find a plastic bag, open it up, and shove it in front of Meredith's face just in the nick time. I don't think I've ever moved that fast in my life. But there's something about a child on the verge of vomiting that makes the adreline surge.

So Meredith's clothes, the surrounding toys and books, and the car were all spared by the bag. Actually, the credit goes to Meredith herself for her self-control. I am very grateful that we avoided what could have been a real mess.

Soon after that episode, we hit road construction that slowed us down considerably, even forcing us to stop at one point for about 20 minutes. Under usual circumstances, it wouldn't have been so bad except that we were just a few hours away, we were all tired, and some of us were sick. I think we pushed the poor kids to the limits of their physical ability. But, as we say in our family, they were real "troopers" during the entire trip.

I just checked our trip odometer and it reads 5,678 miles. I set it at "0" when we pulled out of the driveway in Norman. That included some side trips, of course. But it is still our family's record for driving. We drove about 5,000 miles a couple of summers ago for a vacation. I don't believe we are going to top this one anytime soon. If we do, it'll be in about 20 years.

Now we are here, and are excited about the days ahead. Tomorrow is our first day at Grace OPC in Wasilla, so my pastorate here is about to begin. I have believed that our coming here has been by the leading of God. Now I am anxiously looking forward to see how he may use me, and our family, here in this church and in this part of the world.

No comments: